God’s Word is essential to personal spiritual growth. The psalmist writes “Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.” (Psalm 119:105, NLT). It is not only the way through which believers get to know God, but it is the way through which God leads believers through life. This spiritual journey, for many, begins early in life. For this reason it is important for young people to understand and know God’s Word.
Commissioned in 1996 and updated in 2013, the New Living Translation is a good modern Bible translation that lands in the middle between literal and readable translation theory. It does a good job of keeping the message of the biblical text center, while simultaneously making the text readable, which is great for younger readers. The NLT translates ancient measurements, weights, currency, and time into the modern equivalent. It also translates biblical phrases, idioms, and names while some translations only transliterate them. The NLT is translated to be read aloud which is great for group study, personal reading and memorization.
Key Features for the Guys Slimline Bible:
- Design: The slimline design fits easily in the hands for personal reading. It also fits well into a backpack for travel or use in various settings.
- Footnotes: The footnotes do an excellent job of explaining portions of the text that may be difficult to translate or understand.
- Cross-References: The NLT places cross-references in text for quick access to similar passages for personal study.
- Dictionary/Concordance: The NLT dictionary/concordance is an excellent resource for defining biblical terms and locating other passages that use the same word.
- Maps: The maps at the back of the bible allow the reader to understand the world of the Old and New Testaments from a geographic perspective.
- Reading Plan: The 365-Day Reading Plan allows the reader to read through the entire bible in one year by reading a few chapters each day.
- Memorization Verses: The NLT provides key verses to memorize that are organized by topic. This allows the reader to apply God’s Word to their lives in varying situations.
As mentioned above, the NLT is great for younger readers. The Guys Slimline Bible would make a great gift for graduations, baptisms, confirmations, etc. I would reccomend this resource to youth pastors and youth workers for use in with their students.
I received this book from Tyndale House Publishers as a member of the Tyndale Bloggers Network program in exchange for an honest review of the book.